Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas pillows (using Aurifil thread!)

I was excited to be chosen to participate in the Sew Mama Sew sewing challenge.  
We were asked to sew a mini quilt using the thread sent to us by Aurifil.  I eagerly awaited my package of thread because I have never used it before but have heard/read great things about it.  This little box arrived with this beautiful thread inside...love those colors!

Aurifil thread - Simplify

Aurifil thread

I decided to make some mini quilts (to be made into pillows) to match my Christmas quilt 
that is still waiting on the back burner while I get other Christmas projects done.

For the first mini quilt/pillow, I did a simple half log cabin block and used some fun stitches on my machine to quilt it.  The thread colors are awesome and it was wonderful to quilt with!

Christmas mini quilt pillow

Christmas mini quilt/pillow

Christmas mini quilt/pillow stitching with Aurifil

Christmas pillow

For the second one, I made up a bunch of half-square triangles and made this star pillow.
I used the turquoise, gray, and green thread to quilt this one with a triple stitch to make the stitches stand out a bit more.

Christmas mini quilt/pillow

Christmas pillow Aurifil stitching

Christmas pillow

I used this tutorial to make the back of the pillow with a zipper closure.

Christmas pillow zipper back

And just a couple more pictures of the pillows together.

Christmas pillows

Christmas pillows

Christmas pillows

Thanks Sew Mama Sew and Aurifil for letting me participate and try out this lovely thread.

Here is a list of the other participants.  Check out what they created using their Aurifil thread.

Amy of Badskirt
Vanessa of Punkin Patterns
Kristin of And Chips
Lindsey of LRstitched
Penny of Sew Take a Hike

linking to Crazy Mom Quilts
 and Quilt Story

9 comments:

  1. Lovely. I love the decorative stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look really pretty. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both beautiful. I love the decorative stitching and all those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the decorative stitches!
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty pillows and creative way of showing off the threads with the decorative stitching. I especially love the triple stitch. Thanks for including the links to the other participants.
    Visiting from Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday
    Sue CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on your Christmas quilt! It's going to be a fabulous set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! This is the first time I've seen somebody use the decorative stitches to quilt, and I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete